Drop-In: Drop-in for in-person counseling (for brief questions) is available at the Merritt College Counseling Office during open business hours in Building R, Room 109.

Virtual & In-Person Scheduled Appointments: Counseling appointments are available to schedule for virtual and in-person sessions. Virtual appointments can be accessed through the ConexED platform. Virtual and in-person appointments can be booked up to two weeks in advance by using this link:


Virtual Drop-In (First Two Weeks of School Only): Virtual drop-in services (for brief questions) are available only during the first two weeks of school in the fall and spring semesters. This can be accessed by using this link:


If you do not see any virtual or in-person appointments available, Counselors are able to see students daily during our regular business hours in Building R, Room 109. You can also check back in a day or so online as we book two weeks out. For additional questions or concerns about how to meet with a counselor, please call the Counseling Office at 510-436-2475.

To clear a prerequisite using courses taken outside the Peralta Community College District, you can make an appointment or drop-in to see a counselor in the Counseling Office, Room R-109. You MUST bring transcripts (unofficial are OK) and/or other supporting documentation showing that you have completed the prerequisite course with a grade of “C” or better (a “C-” is not acceptable).

If you do not meet the above criteria to clear a class, you can petition for a prerequisite challenge using this form:


Complete the petition, attach any documentation you have, and submit it to a staff person at the Merritt College Admissions and Records Office, Room R-112 where you will be enrolled in the course. The petition will then be submitted to the Department Chair for their review. Your challenge will be resolved within five (5) working days. If your petition is approved, you will remain in the class. If it is denied, you will be notified and dropped from the class.

Academic Probation: If you have attempted at least 12 semester units and have a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 at the Peralta Colleges, you will be placed on academic probation.

Progress Probation: If you have enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units as indicated on the total academic record district-wide, you will be placed on progress probation when the percentage of W, I, and NP’s recorded reaches at least 50% of all grades recorded. You will remain on progress probation until your percentage of W, I, and NP grades falls below 50% of all grades recorded.

Probation Procedures: After you receive the notification that you are on probation, you must meet with a counselor to gain clearance for registration and to discuss strategies for improving your academic performance, including possible reduction of your study load.

Academic Dismissal: If you have been placed on academic probation and you earn a cumulative grade point average of less than 1.75 in all units attempted in each of three (3) consecutive semesters, you shall become subject to dismissal. Summer session is considered a semester.

Progress Dismissal: If the college has placed you on progress probation, you shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which you have been enrolled reaches or exceeds 50% in at least three (3) consecutive semesters for which entries of W, I, and NP are recorded.

Dismissal Procedures: If the college places you on dismissal, you must make an appointment to see a counselor to address the reasons you are on dismissal status and petition for readmission. A counselor will make a recommendation to the Vice President of Student Services about the possibility of continued registration. You will be notified within a specified time regarding whether or not your petition for readmission is approved or denied.

Students must file a petition for an Associate’s Degree and/or Certificate by the deadline shown in the Academic Calendar for the semester in which the student plans to complete degree or certificate requirements. Students must make an appointment with a counselor to complete the petition and it is the student’s responsibility to file the petition with Admissions and Records.

The petition for an AA/AS/AA-T/AS-T degree is available here:


The petition for a Certificate is available here: