Important News! The Puente Program is Now Recruiting for the Fall Semester!
Photo from Fall 2018 – Spring 2019
The Puente Project is a transfer support program designed to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students who:
- Enroll in four-year colleges and universities
- Earn college degrees
- And return to their communities as mentors and leaders
Puente means “bridge” in Spanish. As the name suggests, we help students build bridges to higher education.
Puente is an award-winning program that has helped thousands of students reach their dreams of college success through its innovative combination of accelerated writing instruction, intensive academic counseling and mentoring.
Puente is co-sponsored by the California Community Colleges and the University of California.
Puente students . . .
• Take a rigorous two-course English class sequence (English 1A in the Fall semester and English 5 in the Spring semester) from a Puente teacher. The writing courses integrate Latino topics and Latino literature.
• Take a personal development course in the Fall and Spring semesters, which provides career and major development, team building, and transfer preparation.
• Work closely with Puente-trained counselors to prepare their educational plans and remain focused on their academic goals.
• Participate in activities with mentors from the professional community.
• Participate in educational field trips, including 4-year college visits.
• Communicate with the Puente teacher and counselor for support with their educational endeavors.
Who is Eligible?
All CCC students who are eligible to enroll in English 1A in the Fall semester are eligible for the Puente Project. Students must possess a desire to transfer to a four-year college or university.
OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS WHO WANT TO TRANSFER
|Main Puente Office for Northern California, located at the University of California Office of the President|