Merritt College puts students first. Through our rich educational programs, we foster a culture of equity and inclusion that empowers students to achieve their greatest potential and make meaningful contributions to their respective communities and our global society.
Merritt inspires students to create meaningful lives including fulfilling careers, community participation, self-expression, and a love of learning.
To achieve the mission, Merritt staff, faculty and administrators practice the following core values in developing and implementing programs and services, as well as creating instructional opportunities leading to quality and excellence.
- Student Success – We provide challenging and rigorous learning experiences that support the academic and personal success of our students.
- Caring Spirit – We genuinely care about every member of our campus community.
- Teamwork and Inclusion – We encourage everyone to participate in college governance and assume responsibility for acting on our shared commitment to provide exceptional learning experiences.
- Campus Climate – We strive to create a student-centered learning environment that leads to student retention, persistence and success.
- Diversity – We honor and respect the different backgrounds, experiences, languages, values and cultures of everyone at the college.
Merritt’s new strategic goals are directly aligned with the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Vision for Success goals.
- Completion – Increase number of degrees and certificates by 20% over the next 5 years.
- Transfer – Increase transfers to CSU and UC by 6% annually. (Reach approx. 35% in 5 years).
- Time to Completion – Reduce the number of excess units earned by students.
- Employment – Maintain at least 82% of students attaining employment in the field of study.
- Equity – Reduce the achievement gaps for African-American, multiethnic, and male students.