Workshops Materials and Recordings
- Click here to see the District Flex Day recordings Jan.20.2021
- Merritt College Flex Day Jan. 22.2021 recordings and materials of selected workshops:
- Flex Day intro with Frances Moy- PD Committee and Welcome remarks by President David Johnson, the introduction of new community members. Constituencies remarks.
- Part 2 CORA RAVEN training: The Effects of Racial Microaggressions on Belonging and Success for Students of Color
- Introduction to Online Student Services – Dr. Lilia Chavez
- Enhancing and Tracking Student Engagement in Canvas with Adoria Williams- recording Student Engagement Action Plan Handout –Slides
- Ergonomics for Working from Home – Emily Kong, Ergonomics Coordinator, and Occupational Therapist, Dignity Health
- Embedded Tutoring to Enhance Student Success – Isela Santana
- New Faculty Orientation and Faculty Handbook-Tom Renbarger.
- Slides for the workshop: Vicarious Trauma and Compassion Fatigue: Taking Care of Yourself in the Midst of Pain’ Taquelia Washington – EmpowerMe! Services
- Using Power BI and other data analysis tools- with Nathan Pellegrin
‘Implicit Bias Training’ replay in collaboration with Laney College PDC and District SDO. Part 1 of CORA (Center for Organizational Responsibility and Advancement) trainings.
‘Effective Meeting Management’ online training:
Merritt College Flex Day Oct. 20.2020 recordings of selected workshops:
Distance Education Workshops With Monica Ambalal Distance Ed Committee Coordinator Summer 2020:
Creating Student Success in the Online Environment The instructor hosts an informational webinar about student perceptions and experience in the online environment. Some students may not have learned online before. What can you do to help them meet their goals? How will your online classroom remain commensurate to your face-to-face class in lieu of the physical absence? You will learn how to communicate best with your students in the virtual classroom and we will explore ideas and possibilities in this dynamic time. Slides 1
Online Equity and Accessibility (w/the Peralta Equity Rubric) The instructor discusses the importance of building equity in the classroom. *Please note that this is to introduce faculty/staff to the Equity Rubric but many of the same functions apply in the physical classroom as well. Topics: ensuring all content is accessible, modes and platforms of student access, digital redlining, bias and images. fonts in your content. Slides 2
Building a Safe Online Environment The Instructor provides insight regarding the protection and safety of students and instructors in the online classroom. We will be discussing the surroundings included in screens, how to ensure a welcoming Zoom session, FERPA and liability concerns, mandated reporting in the online classroom. *Note on these final points instructor will use language from state, ed code, and local law enforcement to inform on procedures as they support and agree with procedures at Peralta and in Faculty handbooks Slides 3
Online Classroom Management In this final session, the host introduces ways in which you can manage your class in the online environment. There are options available to manage your Zoom, and you are able to use settings that prevent Zoombombing. We will also discuss the gradebook, how to get organized when you are away from a traditional classroom, and how to create dynamic synchronous discussions that encourage participation. While there is no solution to recreating your classroom in real life, you will receive some tips on how to provide a high-caliber instructional space.Slides 4