Fill out a Tutor Job Application Here
Learning Center Tutor Job Description
Position: The Merritt College Learning Center invites applications for Tutors across disciplines. Candidates with experience in these disciplines and other disciplines are encouraged to apply; this is an excellent opportunity to work with students across disciplines at all levels of competency.
The primary function of the tutor is to support students who are currently registered in the Peralta Community College District. Tutors should present a professional yet pleasant demeanor and continually work to reinforce knowledge of course content and tutorial methods. This includes tutor training (class or workshops) plus a 25- hour practicum (hands-on tutoring). As needed, tutors assist with the overall operations of the Learning Center.
• Meet each student in person for 30-45 minute sessions in the Learning Center or other designated location with faculty supervision.
• All new tutors must enroll in Learning Resources 30 – Introduction to Tutoring.
• Stay informed about pedagogy by:
o attending monthly training in the Learning Center.
o attending monthly College Hour Tutor Training (for English).
o attending discipline department meetings at least once per semester.
o attending conferences at ACTLA or 3CSN, funding permitted.
o attending other workshops provided by Merritt College and other organizations.
• Assigned hours will vary depending on the classroom assignments and designated Learning Center schedules.
• Arrive on time, sign in for your schedule, stay for your entire shift, and sign out.
• May be embedded in the classroom to support instruction.
• Currently enrolled in Peralta District
• Meet employment criteria of Merritt College
• Completed or currently enrolled in LRNRE 30, Tutor Training
• Have a B grade or better in each course wishing to tutor
• Submit a copy of the most recent transcript (unofficial)
• Interview with Director and Coordinator of the Learning Center
• Must be creative and a self-starter
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural disability and ethnic backgrounds
• A deep interest in helping others develop competence in a relevant subject
• Familiarity with the Learning Center mission statement (Please visit our webpage https://www.merritt.edu/wp/learningcenter/)