If you qualify to graduate this season please use the following link to register:
General Education Requirements for AA/AS Degrees
Candidates for the Associate Degree must complete at least 60 units to include courses in a Major, General Education, and Electives, as necessary (see catalog for details).
- A minimum grade of “C” or better is required for each course in the major, English Composition (Area 4A), and Mathematics (Area 4B).
- At least 12 units must be completed at Merritt.
- Students must complete a minimum of 19 units distributed among Areas 1, 2, 3, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 5.
NOTE: While a course might satisfy more than one General Education requirement, it may not be counted more than once for this purpose (see exception for Ethnic Studies courses).
Candidates for the Associate Degree must complete at least 60 degree applicable units, which include the major courses, General Education, and electives as necessary.
- At least 19 units must be completed in General Education
- A minimum number of 18 units required for the major. The specific number of units varies with the major. Students should refer to the individual curriculum patterns for this information.
NOTE: When the units from the General Education and Major do not total 60 units, students must complete any degree – applicable course(s), referred to as electives, until the total of at least 60 units is obtained.
- At least 12 units must be taken at the college where the student is petitioning.
- A minimum grade-point average of 2.0 (“C”) is required in EACH of the following:
- Overall grade-point average
- General Education Requirements
- A “C” grade or better is required in each course in the major.
Certificate of Achievement
To award a Certificate of Achievement (approved by the State Chancellor’s Office) in any of the Peralta Colleges, the College shall certify that the following requirements have been met:
- Minimum of 18 semester units in the major; and completion of a specified program of courses with a “C” grade or better in each course; or
- Completion of 12-17.5 units in a specified program of courses with a “C” grade or better in each course
Certificate of Proficiency
To award a Certificate of Proficiency (approved locally) in any of the Peralta Colleges, the College shall certify that the following requirements have been met:
- Up to and including 17.5 semester units
- Completion of specified courses with a “C” grade or better in each course
- Certificates of Proficiency will not appear on official transcripts.
It is the student’s responsibility to file a “Petition for Certificate of Achievement/Proficiency” by the deadline specified in the College Calendar, (see the Class Schedule for all deadlines).
It is the student’s responsibility to file a “Petition for Certificate of Achievement/Proficiency” by March 15, 2019. (See the Class Schedule for all deadlines).