WELCOME TO MERRITT COLLEGE LANDSCAPE HORTICULTURE DEPARTMENT
Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Landscape Horticulture Department is to help students attain knowledge, skills, and broad-based outlooks needed to succeed as professionals, as stewards of the land, and as responsible citizens. To accomplish these goals the department provides open access to educational programs, support services, and community outreach in a rigorous, diverse, and culturally rich learning environment.
Career Pathways and Demand
Each of our degree and certificate programs lead to tangible employment opportunities.
- Graduates of our Landscape Architecture program have found jobs at the City of Pleasanton, the Trust for Public Land, PGA, Arterra, Place works, DTLA, 4 Dimensions, the Restoration Design Group, and more.
- Graduates of our Landscape Design and Construction program have found jobs at Headwaters Landscape, Frank and Grossman, Lazar Landscape, 4 Dimensions, Mariposa Design and Gardening Cooperative, Green Gallery Landscaping, Dawn Landscaping, Dynamic Designs, Arca Design Group. In addition, many students have formed their own companies, such as Mission Blue Landscape, Headwaters Landscape, and Plant Stars.
- Graduates in our Arboriculture program have found jobs at Davey Tree Company, Bartlett Tree Experts, Traverso Trees, Hort Science, EBRP, City of Albany, Berkeley and San Francisco Urban Forestry Division, Tree Davis, Friends of the Urban Forest.
- Graduates of our Parks and Maintenance program have found jobs at East Bay Regional Park District, Oakland Parks and Recreation, the Oakland Zoo, Lakeside Gardens, Oakland Public Works, the Ruth Bancroft Garden, the City of San Francisco Public Works, the UC Botanical Garden, the Tilden Botanical Garden, and numerous private gardening enterprises.
- Graduates of our Nursery Management program have found jobs at Friends of Sausal Creek, the Blake Gardens and Estate, and numerous horticultural nurseries in the greater Bay Area (Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, East Bay Nursery, Thornhill Nursery, Broadway Terrace Nursery, Flowerland Nursery, Devil Mountain Nursery, Annie’s Annuals, the Watershed Nursery, and many more.
- Graduates of our Permaculture program have found jobs at Planting Justice, Ploughshares — Alameda Point Collaborative, the Watershed Nursery, City Slicker Farms, Spiral Gardens Community Food Security Project, and numerous small, independent operations.
- Our Cannabis program is brand new, so stay tuned for an update on the jobs our students are securing.