Director of Student Activities and Campus Life
Doris Hankins is a Bay Area native. She and her husband (of 22 years) have raised four children. She has completed an Associates of Art degree in Liberal Arts (2002) and an Associates of Science degree in Social and Behavioral Science and a Certificate of Achievement in Child Development (2006) from Merritt College. She’s also received her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Organizational Management from Ashford University and a Master of Arts Degree in Business Communications from Jones International University.
Doris is a Merritt College alumnus and served as the Phi Theta Kappa (Beta Theta Lamda Chapter) President for 3 years (2001-2003) and was awarded the All USA Award (2002). In addition, she has worked at Merritt College for almost 20 years. Her positions at Merritt have included being a Sr. Clerical Assistant to the President; a Staff Assistant to the Vice President of Instruction; an Interim Curriculum Specialist; an Interim Program Manager for CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support); an Employment Services Manager; a Program Manager for Basic Skills Student Outcomes and Transformation (BSSOT); a Project Manager for Guided Pathways; and Program Manager for Next Up (formally CAFYES). Effective March 2, 2020, she will begin her new role as Director of Student Activities and Campus Life.
During her tenure, she received numerous awards, which includes the State of California’s Board of Governors Award for the Community Colleges and the Chancellor’s Office-Classified Employee of the Year (2012), and the Merritt College-Classified Employee of the Year (2013).
Doris’ passion for supporting student success and community engagement grew and caused her to assume more leadership roles after graduating from the Chancellor’s Leadership Succession Cohort. Such as…
- President, Vice President, Treasure, and Senator of the Classified Senate,
- Member of the President’s Leadership Team,
- Co-Chair of the Annual Awards Achievement Committee,
- Institutional Self-Evaluation Task Force and Steering Committee Member,
- College Council Chair and Co-Chair,
- Peralta African American Association, Membership Chair,
- Peralta Community College District Classified Senate, Treasurer,
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Task Force, and
- Merritt Standard IV Accreditation, Co-Chair.… Just to name a few!
Doris’ committee involvements have included the following:
- Professional Development,
- Student Awards Committee,
- Graduation Committee,
- College Educational Master Planning Committee,
- Participatory Governance Committee (PGC)
- District Educational Committee, and numerous hiring committees.
Doris has experience in entrepreneurial and small business ownership. Her volunteer activities have included cooking food for over 300 people within her local community and mentor youth in life skills, career development, and entrepreneurship.