Puente Program Home
Welcome to the Puente Program at Merritt College!
Puente means “bridge” in Spanish. As the name suggests, we help students build bridges to higher education.
Puente is an award-winning program that has helped thousands of students reach their dreams of college success through its innovative combination of accelerated writing instruction, intensive academic counseling and mentoring.
Puente is co-sponsored by the California Community Colleges and the University of California.
Puente students . . .
• Take a rigorous two-course English class sequence (English 201A/B in Fall semester and English 1A in Spring semester) from a Puente-trained teacher. The writing courses integrate Latino topics and Latino literature.
• Take a personal development course in Fall and Spring semesters, which provide career and major development, team building, and transfer preparation.
• Work closely with Puente-trained counselors to prepare their educational plans and remain focused on their academic goals.
• Participate in activities with mentors from the professional community.
• Participate in educational fieldtrips, including 4-year college visits.
• Communicate with the Puente teacher and counselor for support with their educational endeavors.
Fall semester Puente Classes
English 201 A/B — 4 units
In this course, students will sharpen their reading and writing skills to prepare them for English 1A and other college transfer courses that require reading and written papers. In this course, students will be developing their ability to write clear, coherent, and well-developed paragraphs and essays. Students will also gain practice and skills in active reading, inferences, and critical thinking. Compositions will require students to write about choosing options, evaluating information, making comparisons, arguing a position and debating issues.
Counseling 224: — 2 units
Students will acquire college success skills: Time Management, good study habits, effective note taking, goal-setting strategies, educational planning, and use of library and other learning resources.
Who is Eligible?
All CCC students who are eligible to enroll in English 201 in the Fall semester are eligible for the Puente Project. Students must possess a desire to transfer to a four-year college or university.
OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS WHO WANT TO TRANSFER
|Main Puente Office for Northern California, located at the University of California Office of the President|