The Assessment process is one of the required steps to enroll at Merritt College (see Steps to Enroll). Once students complete their Assessment session, the results will be used by the counseling staff to assist the student in selecting appropriate courses to match their skills in reading, writing, and mathematics to make their academic path most successful. Alternative testing is provided for students whose native language is not English, called ESL (English as a Second Language) Assessment.
Assessment will be conducted following New Student Orientations (also a required step to enroll) on the dates listed below. To make an appointment for Assessment and/or Orientation, please call the Counseling Department at (510) 436-2562.
For Orientation and Assessment schedules, click on link to left.
Note: Please make sure that you clearly state your name and correct contact information (email address, phone number, etc.) with requested date and time of assessment when you are leaving a message to make an appointment. Until a confirmation email or a phone call from Merritt College Assessment Center is sent to you, you DO NOT have an appointment reserved. Please schedule an appointment at least a week prior to the date you wish to attend.
Please follow the regulations below:
- Be at least 15 minutes early (your appointment will be given away if you are late), check-in at the reception area in R109.
- Bring a valid photo ID.
- No children or food/drink are permitted. Cellular phones and pagers must be turned off during Orientation and Assessment.
- Students must have a current application on file with Admissions and Records before attending Orientation and Assessment.
- The following assessments are offered during the times shown below. Please note the approximate time to complete each assessment:
+ English and Math – allow 2 hours + Math only – allow 30 minutes
+ English only – allow 1.5 hours + English as a Second Language (ESL) – allow 1.5 hours
Please keep the following in mind:
- Students can only take the assessment once per year so please take the test seriously. The results are used to assist in placement of the appropriate level English and Math courses.
- For a sample of Assessment, we recommend that you go to www.merritt.edu and click on Student Services tab. From there, click the Enrollment Services link, then click on Assessment and Orientation link and the information will be on the right hand side of the page.
- Take the Assessment first before seeing a Counselor for assistance with Math and English placement and with course enrollment.