Image: Banner image of campus logo Merritt College


How do I register for classes?
Click HERE and it will take you to the Passport Student Center, where you can enroll for classes and access your academic information.

Where is the Child Development Department located?

The Child Development Department Office is located in Building A Room A-112; 510 436-2589.

What is an SEP?

SEP stands for “Student Education Plan.”  For more information, please contact the Department of Counseling at 510-436-2475.

How do I apply for a Child Development Certificate?

To apply for a Child Development Certificate, please bring your transcript and meet with a Counselor from the Counseling Department.  The Counselor will evaluate your transcript to make sure you have fulfilled the necessary course requirements for the Certificate and fill out any documents stating so.  Bring the documents to Admissions and Records who will contact you once the application is approved.

Where can I get help with writing papers or writing skills?

If you need help with class assignments and homework, The Learning and Writing Center (located in Building L ) offer free Tutorial Assistance.  The Self-Paced Courses (Open Entry/Exit) offer assistance in writing, studying, and communication skills.

What class should I take for next semester?

Questions concerning what classes you should take is best answered by a professional growth advisor, a counselor or the professional development coordinator.

I’ve taken classes at another college; will your department accept the units?

For questions concerning whether or not Merritt College will accept units taken at another college, please contact the Counseling Department.  Also, please take a look at the Course Comparison Grid at the following link:
The Course Comparison Grid lists certain classes offered at other San Francisco Bay Area college institutions that are like the courses offered at Merritt College.

What are the differences between a Certificate, a Child Development Permit, and a License? 

A certificate is offered by the Peralta Community College District, upon completion of required courses with a grade of C or above in each course.

A Child Development Permit is required to teach in a Title V program (one that receives subsidies from the Child Development Division of the State Department of Education). It is issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The permit matrix offers a variety of permits, each requiring a different level of education and work experience and giving the holder varying degrees of authority. For more information on Child Development Permits and Permit Advising contact Child Development Resource Center located in A109.

A facility is licensed by the Child Care Licensing Program, part of the California Department of Social Services. The program ensures that licensed facilities meet established health and safety standards.

I want to open my own childcare business.  What do I need to do?

First, you need to determine what type of childcare facility you wish to operate.  If you want to work in your own home, you need a family childcare license.  For those who wish to provide child care services in an out-of-home setting, a childcare center license is needed.

In order to obtain a family child care license in California; you must do the following:

  • Attend an orientation meeting held by the Community Care Licensing Division of the State Department of Social Services.
  • Complete a 15 hour course in Child Care Health & Safety.
  • Complete all necessary and required forms and tests.
  • Have a visit from a licensing evaluator.

To obtain a child care center license, you must do the following:

  • Attend a series of orientations conducted by the Community Care Licensing Division of the State Department of Social Services.
  • Complete all necessary and required forms and tests.
  • Pass an inspection by a licensing evaluator.

For more information concerning licensing in the state of California, please visit Banana’s at
Contact the Child Development Office at 510-436-2589 for more information.

%d bloggers like this: