Enrollment in the program is every year in the Fall semester, by special application directly to the Radiologic Science program. The application period is EVERY OTHER YEAR (even years) between January 15 and April 15. All courses used for consideration for enrollment must be completed before the application deadline date. All supporting documents must be received no later than April 15 of the application year. Please be advised that due to the number of applications received by the program, qualified students generally remain on a wait list for 2-3 years before entry into the program. The next class will begin the program on August 24th, 2015, and will complete the program August 12th, 2017.
A. Eligibility Requirements:
- Completion of high school or GED test or equivalent (must provide proof).
- Completion of all prerequisite courses prior to application with a “C” grade or better for each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 or better (for prerequisite courses only).
- Prerequisite courses must be current within 7 years.
- Currency for old Math courses may be established by taking the Math Assessment test (available through the Merritt College Counseling department). A copy of the assessment test scores must be submitted with the application packet if pertinent.
- Completion of all general education requirements for the Associate Degree. Students with prior Associate Degrees or higher meet this requirement. Due to the high volume of program applicants, students who have not met this requirement will not be enrolled in the program nor placed on the wait list.
- Students must obtain medical clearance (at their own expense) and show proof of immunity to hepatitis, diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubeola, rubella, mumps, and chicken pox before enrolling in the program. A negative Tuberculosis screen (PPD skin test or Chest X-ray) is also required.
- Students must obtain a drug screen and background check (at their own expense) prior to enrolling in the program. Students with a history of illegal substance abuse and/or felony convictions including abuse or fraud may be excluded from participating in clinical education and from taking the ARRT licensing examination. Other types of offenses may also result in exclusion from clinical education (at the discretion of the clinical affiliate) and/or the licensing examination. Students with such histories are required to complete a pre-application review with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (www.arrt.org, 651-687-0048 ext. 580). Students who are unable to obtain a provisional clearance with the ARRT will not be permitted to enter the program.
B. Application Procedures: (Between January 15 and April 15 every other year-even years)
After completion of the prerequisite courses and General Education courses applicants shall:
- Request two official sets and one unofficial set of transcripts from all colleges attended outside of the Peralta Community College District (one set of unofficial transcripts from colleges within the Peralta Community College District are OK). One set of the official transcripts should be sent directly to the Peralta Community College District Admissions office (333 East 8th St., Oakland, CA 94606). Order one official set and one unofficial set to be sent directly to you. One official set from each college must remain sealed to be submitted to the Radiologic Science Program along with the application packet. The unofficial set is for review by the enrollment evaluator and the counseling department at Merritt College and may be opened and reviewed by the student. Transcripts sent directly to the Merritt College Radiologic Science Department without accompanying application materials will not be retained.
- Request one set of high school transcripts or provide proof of high school completion (a copy of the diploma or GED certificate, or equivalent). This document must be submitted with the application packet, no exceptions are made.
- Schedule an appointment during the application period (between January 15th and April 15th) with the Radiologic Science enrollment evaluator (see the Allied Health secretary in D102 or call 436-2422) for verification of the prerequisite courses and a record of General Education courses completed. Upon verification, the evaluator will complete a “Permit to Apply” form and give you an application. The completed “Permit to Apply” and General Education verification will be forwarded directly to the Radiologic Science Program by the evaluator. Applicants are responsible for submitting the application, proof of high school completion or GED, and transcripts from all colleges attended. Application materials will not be considered for students who have unfinished prerequisite courses and/or have not completed ALL General Education requirements by the deadline date.
- Submit the complete application packet directly to the Radiologic Science Program. A complete application packet consists of: the Permit to Apply, a record of General Education coursework completed (verified and delivered by the evaluator), the completed application, assessment test scores to validate Math classes more than 7 years old, proof of high school graduation (or equivalent), and one official (unopened) set of transcripts from each college attended (unofficial set for courses completed in the Peralta Community College District is OK). The application packet may be hand-delivered to the Allied Health office in D 102 on the Merritt Campus, or mailed to the Merritt College Radiologic Science Department, 12500 Campus Drive, Oakland, CA 94619. Incomplete application packets will be not be considered.
C. Post-Admission Requirement:
Prior to program start, students must pass a drug screen, background check, medical exam, CPR class and must provide proof of immunity to communicable diseases. You will be given further instructions for completing this requirement upon acceptance into the program.