Constitution of ASMC
We the students of Merritt College, in order to promote the general welfare of the students and the community this college serves, have created the A.S.M.C. to guarantee the equality of opportunity among students; to offer experience in moral, aesthetic, social and economic values under an atmosphere of intellectual freedom; to encourage students in community participation, and in the planning and direction of student and community activities, as permitted under the rules, regulation and policies of the State of California, the Peralta Community College District Board of Trustees, the President of Merritt College and their representatives, do ordain and establish this constitution.
Article 1 – Name
The name of the organization shall be known as the Associated Students of Merritt College.
(A.S.M.C.) and is incorporated with the State of California as a non-profit organization.
Section 2: The official Mascot shall be the (Thunderbird)
Section 3: The official Colors shall be Blue and Gold
Article 2 – Membership
All registered student are eligible voters in elections and are beneficiaries of the student
The following privileges shall be granted to the membership
- The right to candidate in A.S.M.C. elections, to hold any appointive position or to be a committee member within student government (per eligibility requirements in the A.S.M.C. By-laws).
- The right to form and/or become a member of an A.S.M.C. sponsored Club
- The right to speak before the Student Senate (per By-laws of the A.S.M.C.)
- The right to create initiatives, referendums and recalls though a petition submitted to the student senate.
Article 3 – Student Government
The government of the Associated Students of Merritt shall consist of three branches; Executive, Legislative and the Judicial.
- The Executive Branch shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Commissioner of Finance and the Chair of the Inter-Club Council.
a) The order of succession shall be as followed for the Presidency;
(1) Vice President
(2) 1st President Pro Tem
(3) 2nd President Pro Tem
(4) Commissioner of Finance
(5) ASMC Secretary (if a member of the Senate)
(6) Chairperson of the I.C.C.
- The Legislative Branch shall consist of no fewer than seven (7) members and shall be named the student senate.
- The Judicial Branch shall consist of the Chief Justice up to four (4) Associate Justices.
The student government will follow the guidelines and procedures as described in its By-laws which will be reviewed by a Commission of Executive, Legislative Judicial members on a yearly base.
The Student Government will be assisted in the operation of the Corporation by the Executive Council. The Executive Council exercises corporate rights in all important business matters.
Its membership shall reflect the best student and college level administration participation.
Article 4 – Amendments
Amendments to this constitution may be proposed by a two third vote of the Student Senate, and must be ratified by a simple majority of the student body voting during normal elections prior to adoption.
Additionally amendments to the constitution maybe adopted following referendum, which receives two thirds of the votes.